Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Goals & Skinny Bitches

So the other day at the gym I heard a girl say to her friend, "I hate when I see skinny bitches at the gym. It's like, you're already done!" Now, I knew she meant me because I was the only other person at the gym besides her and her friend.

First, I wanted to chide her for unoriginality because Daniel Tosh just tweeted that like a month ago. Second, I wanted to tell her to fuck off. And add that I'm a nice lady.

But I didn't, and what stopped me was remembering what I felt like seeing "skinny bitches" who are obviously in shape at the gym when I was 175 lbs and out of shape. It made me not want to keep going and it definitely didn't make me want to be there when they were.

I'm here to tell you that you're never "done" & that I'm not done. I have goals. If I stopped going to the gym tomorrow diet alone would not keep me this size. Not only that, but the unfortunate thing about our society is that each of us has insecurities, or we wouldn't be at the gym in the first place. Belittling someone else's insecurities will not make you feel more confident in your workouts. The truth embarking on a healthy lifestyle and hitting the gym can be scary and a little unsettling. I can assure you though, everyone there is more focused on themselves than you, so spin your focus to yourself also and you will have a much better workout.

When I first started going there was this woman in her late 40s with like 4 kids that ran like 10 miles a day it seemed, and she had an awesome body and I HATED when I'd pull in at the gym and see her there. I felt disgusting, fat, and slow on a treadmill next to her. Eventually I got better though, and she's actually helped me out a lot with some core work outs. She's even on occasion told me there's things she envies about ME.

So if you see a girl on a machine you don't understand, ask her about it. Maybe she can explain or give you some pointers. Or the girl with the rock solid abs? She can probably tell you how she got them. This girl could potentially be the cheapest personal trainer you could ever meet! Or if nothing else, maybe you will find a new work out buddy, which, in my experience are tough to come by. The more dedicated you become, the fewer work out buddies are willing to be that dedicated. Having one who's already proved they're dedicated is a bonus!

Without further ado, my current fitness goals:
*125 lbs
*get abs
*tone my butt and thighs
*get more fruit in my diet
*cut alcohol consumption to once a week (oh wine, I miss you already!)

Work hard. Xo

2 comments: