Sunday, January 20, 2013

Smoothie Fail

Okay, so as you all know, one of my goals right now is to get more fruit into my diet.  I don't get in nearly enough.

Also, thanks to myfitnesspal its come to my attention that I'm not getting ENOUGH calories on the days that I run, and that could be contributing to why I seem to be at a plateau with weight loss.

The solution I've come up with is breakfast/post-work out smoothies.

I wanted to first start trying these last week, but Monday morning as I was going to start day 1 of breakfast smoothies, I discovered (after dumping all the ingredients in there) that my blender was broke.

So anyway, I got a new blender this weekend, and most of the ingredients for all the different recipes I've dreamed up in my head.

I tried the first one tonight, and...

it was disgusting.

EPIC FAIL.

First off, I'm lactose intolerant, so I'm going with Almond Milk.  Which I do not particularly like the taste of.

I wanted to do raspberry/peach tonight.

The recipe I used was 1 cup (that's a serving size) of Almond Milk, 1/2 cup of raspberries, 1/2 cup of peaches, teaspoon of honey.

First of all, I need to use LESS almond milk.  Like I think 1/2 cup would be sufficient.  Also, I put ice cubes in it and that wasn't necessary, since I'm using frozen fruit (cheaper, and it keeps longer.)  Another mistake I made was I think I need to partially thaw the peaches instead of throwing them in there still frozen and in such large pieces.  The smoothie turned out kind of chunky.

Overall, disastrous.

So I dumped it and started fresh with another recipe.  For this one, I went with 1/4 cup of almond milk, 1/4 cup yogurt,  (for some reason, the powers that be have blessed me to be able to handle yogurt in very small doses despite the lactose intolerance) 1 small banana, and a tablespoon of peanut butter.

I want you to know that this smoothie was, in fact, SUPER DELICIOUS.

However, I forgot that I'd taken my multivitamin like 10 minutes before that.  Remember how I advised NOT to take them with dairy?

WHOOPS.

So anyway, I'm going to keep experimenting with these, and when I find some good recipes that work for me, I'll post them for you all to try.

Note: Anything I use Almond Milk for, you can use regular milk, you lucky lady (or man) you!  Unless you prefer Almond Milk or appreciate its low calorie qualities.
Note: Post work out snacks should NEVER be more than 150 calories, or undo all the progress you made at the gym.  It should be a combination of protein and calcium, to help your muscles break down everything that was done during your work out.


No comments:

Post a Comment