These are couple of different low-cal wraps I sometimes do for meals, mainly lunches. They keep pretty well if I have to make them ahead of time, but if you'd rather transport the ingredients separately, I've done it and multiple small sized tupperware containers have work for me. I've also done Ziploc bags in the sandwich size to keep ingredients separate.
*Remember, being prepared with meals and snacks that are healthy is definitely a lot of work, but keeps you from facing situations later on where you put yourself at risk of making poor food choices.
If I'm doing ziplocks or tupperwares to assemble later, I can usually do meat in one, lettuce in one, tomato/onion/black olives/green peppers mixed together in one. I don't eat cheese (I'm lactose intolerant) but if you're a cheese person you can put the cheese in the same Tupperware container as the meat and they will keep.
Turkey Version:
*1 wrap (I use a multi-grain or wheat wrap. Do your homework before you buy and make sure its a low calorie version that packs a nutritional punch. Wraps can be tricky and misleading if you're not careful to check the nutrition facts.)
*Sliced Turkey (My favorite turkey from the deli I frequent is Chipotle Turkey. I've also done Mesquite (Oscar Meyer DeliFresh is a good one) or Smoked, and I like all of those.
*Ranch dressing (I DO NOT use low fat dressings. This is a luxury I award myself because I cannot eat cheese. If you CAN and DO put cheese on your wrap, consider the low-fat dressing as a trade off.)
*Optional Cheese
*Tomato
*Onion
*Black Olives
*Green Peppers
For the chicken version, I typically cook up my own chicken breasts, pull them apart, and store them in my fridge in a Tupperware. You can take a small amount that would fit in your wrap to work with you each day. I like honey mustard with my chicken wraps, but a lot of people like ranch. For a little bit of kick, I like to add finely chopped jalapeno to the chicken version. I usually microwave the chicken, but if that's not an option for you, it can be eaten cold. My mom will do this one sometimes and she can eat cheese, so she will have shredded cheese on this one and microwave the cheese WITH the meat to have it warm.
*A note about cheese: even if you're not lactose intolerant like me, and you can eat cheese...cheese should be eaten sparingly.
In case you're wondering, this is how I cook my boneless, skinless chicken breasts to use in the wraps:
Coat the pan with cooking spray. Cook on low to medium heat. Add chicken, season with seasoned salt and lemon pepper. Add 1/2 tsp of water. Cover and let a combination of steam and heat cook the chicken through, checking every so often to see if you need to add some more cooking spray. Then you can either chop it into small pieces or pull it apart.
With all the veggies I add to my wraps, they're usually filling enough for me. If you aren't full, consider fresh veggies as a side or an apple, grapes, or some kind of fruit.
No comments:
Post a Comment