Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Truth About Running...

Is that I absolutely hate it.

I've never been a "runner." I've never enjoyed running. I'd give up because I had a side ache, or it hurt, or I was starting to breathe heavy. Any of the million reasons there is to give up on anything.

At first, I started out really determined to push myself speed and distance wise. I found out quickly that wasn't going to work. I hurt my knee and that put me out 3 weeks of working out entirely, all because I wasn't willing to take it slow it is okay, and smart, to start slow.

When I first started, I'd do 15 minute intervals on the treadmill at my own speeds/incline and then get off, so my strength training, then back on 15 more minutes, etc. until I'd gotten in 45 minutes total of running. I was never afraid to take it slow if one day felt worse than the next. Do not get discouraged! Some days, based on what you've eaten, drank, how the damn wind is blowing, it just won't feel as good as it does other days. The key is to get back at it the next day and not to give up.

Now I do 5 miles, 4-5 days a week, all in a row. I don't interval it because I don't have to. Right now in treadmill running because its winter in Wisconsin and frankly, I hate being cold. But in the warm months running outside is the greatest stress relief! Just remember, an outdoor mile is completely different from a treadmill mile. I completely expect my first 5K of spring to feel like I'm running 8 miles instead of just over 3.

The reason running is my go-to exercise? NOTHING melts weight off faster. I could not have lost what I lost without running.

You will find the more you run, the more you will feel encouraged to eat well. Nothing makes you feel worse while running than having fueled your body with garbage beforehand. I always try to think of it like this: if it's going to make me feel heavy on my runs, SKIP IT!

Let me know when you're ready for a running partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment